Did you know that carrot cake originated from the Emerald Isles region and was made with only the named root vegetable? It wasn’t until the recipe came to the U.S. that nuts and other fruits were added to the mix. The recipe I use is a nod to my heritage and brings my roots back to this great root cake.
- Before you begin, pre-measure all your ingredients and line them up in order of incorporation - this will make the mixing processing much easier!
- Use great carrots that are bright orange and juicy!
- Be sure you grind them finely…really, really finely.
- 10 oz Finely Ground Carrot
- 1 1/4 cup Canola Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 cup Minced Pecan
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Ginger
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/3 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
Now let’s get started!
Pre-heat oven to 350
Step 1: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl
Step 2: Mix on medium speed until combined
Step 3: Grease (3) 6” round pans
Step 4: Divide batter evenly between pans
Step 5: Bake at 350o for 20 minutes - check for doneness with wooden skewer. It may require an additional 5 minutes of baking depending on your oven.
Step 6: Cool and frost!
BONUS #RedFlagMoment Tip: Remember to set your timer!
Be Sweet. Be Tempted. ~Chef Maeve